A three-week exploration of devised theater
For ages 9-15 years old, a three-week immersive exploration of devised theatre technique and creative writing at Bethel Woods facilitated by the College of Performing Arts at the New School from NYC where participants research, brainstorm, improvise, and devise their own theatre piece around a student identified central question.
Collaborative work illuminates individual interests, abilities, and skill sets of each participant, which become the ingredients for the culminating piece. Last year participants contributed their interests, talents, and personal thoughts which evolved into a musical theater piece that incorporated singing, dancing, acrobatics, rap, scenes, monologues and visual art. Participants also have hands-on experiences building, painting and designing their own sets, lights, and costumes.
P.L.A.Y. Theater culminates in a collaborative, devised presentation that not only highlights the devised theater process but also unveils a brand new work created entirely by the participants!
Open house: Sunday, July 29; 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Program- Monday- Friday, July 30 through August 17 from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Culminating Presentation- Doors open at 9:30 AM; Presentation starts at 10:00 AM
Because P.L.A.Y. programs are well-attended and popular in our community, attendance for the full range of program dates is expected.
P.L.A.Y. is a fee-based program. Registration fees are $350 per student per program. Tuition assistance is available based on financial need; please fill out the tuition assistance application on the registration form. You must upload documentation of proof of income that can include, but are not limited to, your most recent tax statement, recent pay stubs, or a stub from your most recent public assistance check. Maximum size per file is 3Mb. We also have transportation available if needed.
For more information, contact us at [email protected]
Funding for arts and humanities, outreach and museum programming is provided by generous individuals, foundations and agencies including: Resorts World Catskills, American Gift Fund, AT&T Foundation, John N. Blackman Sr. Foundation, Annelise Gerry and Family, Robyn Gerry, IBM, Joan Kaplan, the William and Elaine Kaplan Family Foundation, the Monticello Motor Club, the Museum Association of New York, the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, the Rea Charitable Trust, the Rhulen Loughlin Family -- in memory of Trevor John Loughlin, James and Kelly Schmitt and Stewarts Shops. Transportation and tuition assistance made possible in part by Dan and Joan Silna, and TD Charitable Foundation, and the Williams Endowed Education Fund at Bethel Woods Center for the Arts.
- Sunday, July 29, 2018 -- 2:00 PM Add to cal
- Monday, July 30, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Tuesday, July 31, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Wednesday, August 1, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Thursday, August 2, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Friday, August 3, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Monday, August 6, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Tuesday, August 7, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Wednesday, August 8, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Thursday, August 9, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Friday, August 10, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Monday, August 13, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Tuesday, August 14, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Wednesday, August 15, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Thursday, August 16, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Friday, August 17, 2018 -- 9:00 AM Add to cal
- Saturday, August 18, 2018 -- 10:00 AM Add to cal