Do you love music, the arts and a vibrant community? Bethel Woods Center for the Arts is seeking a Senior Grant Writer to join its development team. Experience in grant writing preferred, but willing to train.
Located at the National Register historic site of the original 1969 Woodstock Festival, Bethel Woods offers world-class concerts, festivals, and creative programs. The cultural center includes the award-winning Museum at Bethel Woods which interprets the legacy of the iconic site and the transformative decade of the 1960s as well as the Conservatories at Bethel Woods which host arts education programs for all ages. Situated on 1,700 acres in Sullivan County, NY, at a destination that attracts 200,000 to 300,000 visitors a year, Bethel Woods is a premier employer in New York’s Hudson Valley/Catskills region.
The Senior Grant Writer will work closely with the Director of Grants, and members of the Development, Museum, Education and Executive teams, to seek and manage general operating grants as well as grants for the growing portfolio of mission-driven programs, historic preservation initiatives and capital projects at Bethel Woods. Ideally, candidates will have a solid knowledge and understanding of federal and state granting agencies, private foundations and corporate giving programs. Candidates must have the following attributes:
- Excellent writing, research, editing and oral communication skills.
- Computer skills (MS Office). Adobe and Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- B.A. or B.S. required.
- Strong working knowledge of demographics, quantitative data and the ability to synthesize such information into meaningful reporting.
- Ability to prioritize and manage tight deadlines and multiple projects, all while working both collaboratively and independently.
- Ability to prepare timely reports to keep supervisor and staff informed of grant opportunities, deadlines, and status.
- A willingness to support other members of the development team and additional fundraising efforts and to represent the organization at concerts and events both on- and off-site.
Preferred experience includes:
- M.A. or M.S.
- Five years of successful grant writing experience in a nonprofit environment with a proven record of securing grants from varied sources.
- Highly detail-oriented organizational skills to create/maintain a system for tracking grant deadlines, submissions, applications, work in progress, budgets, grant fulfillment, reporting deadlines, crediting and agreement stipulations to ensure that granting organizations expectations align with results.
- Adept at creating and building strong ongoing relationships with current and prospective grant makers.
- The ability to bring new grant makers into the portfolio of Bethel Woods.
- A history of working with program evaluation and evaluators, with a strong grasp on in-depth impact measurement that goes beyond statistics and demographics.
The mission of Bethel Woods is to inspire, educate and empower individuals through the arts. The Senior Grant Writer will work as a member of a two-person team that will work to seek grant funding and ensure that the requirements of awarded grants are fulfilled. The Senior Grant Writer will report to the Director of Grants and will work to identify funding sources that support the overall organization or for specific programs and projects. The Senior Grant Writer will then coordinate the creation of grant applications and, if successful, the management of all aspects of the grant.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of available funding opportunities.
- Prepare grant proposals and LOI’s for submission, working closely with project managers.
- Create and maintain relationships with grant makers at all levels – from government agencies to family foundations.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of demographics and other quantitative data that may support strong grant applications
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of Bethel Woods, its mission, and its programming
- Support the team’s system for setting priorities, tracking grant deadlines, submissions, and application status.
- Support the team’s system for tracking work progress, reporting deadlines, grant budgets and agreement stipulations to ensure that project managers are fulfilling the requirements of each grant.
- Support the team’s preparation of timely reports to keep senior staff informed of grant opportunities, deadlines, and status.
- Represent Bethel Woods and support members of the Development team at concerts and other events.
- Work with the Grants and Marketing Teams to ensure proper crediting of grant makers and through media releases from time to time.
- Five years of successful grant writing experience in a nonprofit environment with a proven record of securing grants preferred, although a promising lesser experience candidates will be considered
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and coordinate multiple projects efficiently
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to see a project through to completion
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to HR@BethelWoodsCenter.org with the subject line Senior Grant Writer: [Your Name]