Items We're Looking For
Looking toward the future, The Museum would like for its permanent collection to be the definitive collection of 1960s and Woodstock-related artifacts and reference materials in the world. To reach that goal, there are some collecting areas that we need to concentrate on. We ask that collectors, Woodstock participants, and others consider The Museum at Bethel Woods as an appropriate home for the following:
- Clothing, accessories, and costumes worn on-stage at the Woodstock festival.
- Musical instruments and equipment used on-stage at the Woodstock festival.
- Artwork displayed at the art fair portion of the Woodstock festival.
- Original negatives, slides, or prints of photographs taken at the Woodstock festival.
- Home movies shot at the Woodstock festival.
- Woodstock staff shirts/jackets in each color (we already have red).
- Original business papers, contracts, correspondence, etc. related to the festival.
- Iconic artifacts of 1960s political or popular culture (for example: draft lottery numbers and cage; “I AM A MAN” placard from the Memphis sanitation workers strike).
Because we already have several authenticated Woodstock tickets, and because there are so many fakes that are hard to detect, we do not accept Woodstock tickets. We also rarely accept autographed items unless the item itself (without the autograph) is needed for the collection.
If you have an item to donate to the Museum’s permanent collection, please contact Robin Green at email@example.com with a photo and description of your item. Please NO NOT bring your item to the Museum without first contacting us.
Artifact Authentication & Appraisals
Museum staff may offer educated opinions about the authenticity of items brought in for examination, with prior arrangement. Museum staff may not, however, conduct appraisals or otherwise offer any opinions about the monetary value of any artifact or historical item. Anyone requiring such an appraisal is directed to one of the following professional organizations to locate a qualified appraiser in their area:
National Association of Professional Appraisers
234 Lewis Wharf
Boston, MA 02110
International Society of Appraisers
1131 SW 7th Street, Suite 105
Renton, WA 98055